Can I Get Child Support for My Adult Child?

Generally, child support ends when the child reaches the age of majority. However, when a child is unable to support himself or herself due to a mental or physical disability, most courts also find that a parent has a duty to support the adult child. If you are seeking continued child support for your adult child, it is crucial that you seek the assistance of an attorney who has experience in handling such complex legal matters to ensure you are able to achieve the results you and your child need.

Adult Children and Child Support

Most states, including Kentucky, hold that parents must provide child support for those who have a disability. That said, in Kentucky, it is required for the child to have incurred his or her disability as a minor. Therefore, if a child’s disabilities were to appear after reaching the age of majority, it is likely child support in such a case would not be granted.

Child support for adult children can be continued since the disability the child suffers from prevents him or her from being emancipated, regardless of age.  Most states usually agree that a child is emancipated once he or she reaches the age of 18. If, before the age of 18, the child is no longer attending high school, gets married, joins the military, or permanently leaves the parental home, the child would also be considered emancipated and not eligible for child support.

Child Support Attorney in Louisville

If you are trying to obtain continued child support for your adult child due to his or her physical or mental disability, you need to seek skilled legal representation as soon as possible to ensure you are able to obtain the results you desire. At Winner Law Group, LLC in Louisville, our child support attorneys are ready to provide the experienced and knowledgeable legal guidance you need to help you navigate this often complex process.

Get started on your case today and contact our law office at (502) 812-1889 to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys.