What to Do If the Other Parent Stops Paying Child Support

Despite both parties coming to an agreement in order to finalize a divorce, that doesn’t mean they will uphold their end of the bargain. In many cases, one party fails to make the monthly child support payments, leaving the other party to raise their child without adequate financial assistance. If your ex-spouse or the other parent fails to pay child support in Kentucky, the family court can help.

According to the Child Support Enforcement Act of 1984, district attorneys can help you recover child support from an ex-spouse or parent who refuses to pay. They typically serve the other party with papers with instructions to meet in order to set up a payment arrangement.

If a party fails to follow the instructions on the paper, jail time could be a consequence. However, this is often considered a last resort since sending a neglectful spouse in jail is seen as counter-productive since he or she will be unable to make any sort of payment.

The following are common instructions to recover child support payments:

  1. Wage garnishments
  2. Property seizure
  3. Withhold federal tax refunds to be used to pay child supports
  4. Suspend a business license
  5. Suspend driver’s license

It is imperative to collect all documentation related to the other party’s income, in case he or she fights you in court or attempts to underestimate his or her earnings. Documentation includes pay stubs, tax returns, bank statements, and any records which provide the income and capital of the other party.

If you are interested in filing for divorce or modifying a current court order, contact a Louisville divorce attorney at Winner Law Group, LLC and schedule a consultation today.